Sometimes we can think that only great UX and app design is happening in the United States. Traveling the last 4 years to Latin America on various occasions I’ve come across a couple of handy apps with great design to help you on your trip. These are two that everybody has or will recommend that you download during your stay.
EASY TAXI: Easy taxi is an app that, of course, helps you call an taxi easily. If you’re familiar with Uber and Lyft then you already know how it works. With wi-fi or your international data plan you can request a taxi with the push of your finger safely and securely.
If you are out late at a club or bar or just want to visit a museum or mall in another district and don’t feel like walking there or back to your room then Easy Taxi is the perfect app to reach your destination.
It has a great logo and design and definitely one of the top 6 apps on my phone.
METRO DE MEDELLIN: The app for the Metro de Medellin is my favorite app I used when in Colombia. I love the UI and overall design of the app. I like how it uses illustration of the train station in the background and the color choices.
I enjoy the elegant, minimal design and clear presentation of the train stations and transportation lines to get to destinations around Medellin. The app includes information about their rail and bus lines and how they connect to the bike system and the Metro Cable line.
When you board the cable line you can ride to the Parque Arvi at the end of the line if you like. All the while enjoying amazing view of Medellin from above and forests below as get closer to the park.
MUNICIPALITY OF MIRAFLORES: If you are ever visiting Lima, Peru you will probably be staying in the Miraflores District so it would be good to have the Miraflores app on your phone. You can access maps, walking tours and a magazine updated monthly about this most popular district of the city.
1) Your senses get exposed to different stimuli – A lot of people see the same people and things everyday and you can get caught up in the same routine. It’s good to get totally out of your comfort zone and be exposed to new sights, sounds, tastes, colors and art. It can give you ideas to for a personal project or even possibly ideas to take back to work.
2) You get exposed to different art, design and technology – Sometimes people think technology creation and entrepreneurship is only happening in the United States, but when you travel you see other design solutions. Three of my favorite apps for South America Travel are Easy Taxi, Metro de Medllin and Whatsapp. Okay, WhatsApp is an american app but if you meet a cut girl she’s going to ask if you have it. Just saying’…
3) It gets you active and outside a desk – My first two months of living in another country I lost 22 pounds. I was walking at least 5 miles a day and many days I would walk 8-12 miles easily. I felt physically better, faster and happier. The fresher food I’m sure helped too. It’s good to wander.
4) You get time to think without distraction – How many times are you distracted in a day by co-workers, emails, the phone, meetings? What could you get accomplished without the constant daily distractions? One place I’ve worked a woman said she was talking a PTO day but she would be catching up on work. She said she wasn’t telling anyone so she could work without interruption. Wow.
5) Get back in touch with yourself – You need time to get back in touch with yourself and what makes you happy. Read, paint, explore, enjoy the tastes of food in a new environment. Ideate and take time to think….or not at all.
6) Meet new people – Traveling is a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. You can meet locals to show you around and introduce you to new people.
7) Traveling makes you happy – Happy employees are better employees and are more productive employees. Encourage it!